Grants-in-Aid for Residential Research
The Friends of the University of Wisconsin—Madison Libraries is pleased to offer a minimum of four grants-in-aid annually, each one month in duration, for research in the humanities in any field appropriate to the library’s collections. The purpose is to foster the high-level use of the University of Wisconsin—Madison Libraries’ rich holdings, and to make them better known and more accessible to a wider circle of scholars. Awards are $2,000 each, or $3,000 for those traveling from outside North America.
Memorial Library, the university’s principal research library is distinguished in almost every area of scholarship. It boasts world-renowned collections of:
• history of science from the Middle Ages through the Enlightenment
• pseudo science and medical and scientific quackery
• the largest American collection of avant-garde “Little Magazines”
• a rapidly growing collection of American women writers to 1920
• Scandinavian and Germanic history and literature
• Dutch post-Reformation theology and church history
• French political pamphlets of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
• many other fields
Generally, applicants must have a Ph.D. or be able to demonstrate a record of solid intellectual accomplishment. Scholars and graduate students who have completed all requirements except the dissertation are also eligible.
The grants-in-aid are designed primarily to help provide access to UW—Madison library resources for people who live beyond commuting distance. Preference will be given to scholars who reside outside a 75-mile radius of Madison. The grantee is expected to be in residence during the term of the award, which may be taken up at any time during the year.
Applications are due 1 February of any year. For application forms or more information, click here, or write to Friends of the University of Wisconsin—Madison Libraries, University of Wisconsin—Madison, 990 Memorial Library, 728 State St., Madison, WI 53706, or contact the Friends at 608-265-2505; fax: 608-265-2754, E-mail: email@example.com.